Warmth and comfort are in the spotlight for the holiday season at the bistro at Strøm Mont-Saint-Hilaire. With the arrival of the first cold days, can you think of anything better than a rich onion soup flavored by a dark beer to warm our body and replenish our energy?
Onion soup with black beer from “Brasseurs du monde” – Available in some Holiday Packages
For 6 people
ONION SOUP WITH BLACK BEER FROM “BRASSEURS DU MONDE”
- 80 ml of canola oil
- 15ml chopped garlic
- 2.5 lb onions, thinly sliced
- 250 ml brown sugar
- 2 units of black beer from “Brasseurs du monde”
- 2 units of blond beer from “Brasseurs du monde”
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250 ml veal stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
KALE MIXTURE FOR CROUTONS
- 1 package chopped kale
- 30 ml chopped French shallots
- 5 ml chopped garlic
- 125 ml water
- Canola oil for cooking
PANCETTA, KALE AND “LE 14 ARPENTS” CHEESE CROUTONS
- 6 x 1 slice of white bread
- 6 x 5 ml of Dijon mustard
- 6 x 4 slices of sweet and strong pancetta
- 6 x 20 ml of caramelized onions
- 6 x 60 ml of kale
- 6 x 20 g of “le 14 arpents” cheese
Kale mixture for croutons
- Sweat the French shallots and garlic in the canola oil
- Add the kale and let it wilt
- Add the water and cook until the liquid has evaporated
- Do not season (the pancetta and cheese are salty enough to spice up the crouton)
Pancetta, kale and “les 14 arpents” cheese croutons
- Spread the Dijon mustard on the bread slices
- Put the pancetta slices, caramelized onions and kale mixture
- Top with the “les 14 arpents” cheese
- Put the croutons in the oven at 200F until they are hot and the cheese is melted
- Sweat the onions and garlic in the canola oil
- Add the brown sugar and caramelize the onions
- Reduce the liquid by two-thirds
- Add the beer, veal stock and thyme and cook for about 15 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with croutons
Why did we choose the black beer from “Brasseurs du monde”?
With our ongoing effort to encourage local entrepreneurs and offer you quality products, we did our homework and visited a couple of local microbreweries. And we completely fell in love with the microbrewery “Brasseurs du Monde”.
“Brasseurs du Monde” positions itself as an emerging player in the fast growing world of quality microbreweries. Founded in 2011, “Brasseurs du Monde” relies on a team of enthusiasts that are passionate about the world of craft beers. This microbrewery, located in Saint-Hyacinthe, offers 23 different beers ranging from thirst-quenching beers, developed for the general public, to strong and generous beers that are appreciated by a growing number of consumers.
They brew their 100% natural beers from malted barley and always natural specific ingredients, which allow them to achieve a unique sensory experience.
Behind these wonderful elixirs is brew master Dominic Charbonneau, an avid and passionate beer lover for more ten years. In 2011 he started “Brasseurs du Monde” with Gilles Dubé, and ever since he has been thriving by producing more than 50 different kinds of beer that won close to 50 medals in 4 years.
– Isabelle Ladouceur, Chef Bistro at Strøm Mont-Saint-Hilaire
To discover the Holiday Packages at Strøm Mont-Saint-Hilaire, click here.
To discover the Holiday Packages at Strøm Nuns’ Island, click here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE ARTICLES